[Avodah] Rambam on False Messiahs

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 27 14:14:14 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 04:08:28AM +0000, shalomyitz at comcast.net wrote:
: In Mishneh Torah Melachim uMilchamot 11, the Rambam writes that if a
: ruler arises and he isn't successful in building the mikdash and
: gathering the exiles, or he dies, then he isn't the Moshiach, and
: "HKB"H caused him to arise only to test the many".

I think it's "if he didn't succeed [before dying] or if he was killed
[even though he did succeed in everying else]." After all, until his
petirah, we can't rule out his succeeding at leading Jews to Torah and
upholding all its halakhos, fighting Hashem's battles, creating a global
Pax Judeicus, building the bayis shelishi and qibutz goliyos. So that's
the death case, and the other possibility that would rule out a possible
mashiach is "o neherag", not "o meis".

: But what, according to Rambam, is passing the test?

I think it's evidently your third possibility -- following him when
the halakhah says we should assume he's mashiach, and not treating him
as kind when it says we can rule out that assumption.

More on why I conclude that below in my response to Lisa's email.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:18:43AM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
> I think that's going too far.  I don't think there's anything here about
> a "claim".  A leader of the Jews is supposed to do certain things.  If
> he does the first part of those things, *we*, rather than he, determine
> that those actions made him presumptive Mashiach.  If we don't make that
> determination...

If I may play logician... The predicate is "he is mashiach". We don't
determine the truth of the predicate "he is bechezqas mashiach", we have
a chazaqah that the predicate "he is mashiach" is true. In the Rambam's
words (Melakhim 11:4), "harei zeh bechazaqas shehu moshiach".

I think this distinction is more than just in wording, which goes to the
original question. It's not that anyone ceased being a "chezqas mashiach"
if he dies with the job incomplete, it's that we change our assumptions
about which halakhos apply to our relationship with him.

Micha Berger             The purely righteous do not complain about evil,
micha at aishdas.org        but add justice, don't complain about heresy,
http://www.aishdas.org   but add faith, don't complain about ignorance,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      but add wisdom.     - R AY Kook, Arpelei Tohar