[Avodah] Even veAven

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 27 10:28:53 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 01:31:33PM +0000, Kenneth Miller wrote:
: If I'm reading it correctly, Choshen Mishpat 231:18 says not to measure
: land at certain times, because the weather may cause the measuring
: rope to stretch or contract. This seems to answer that question quite
: explicitly..

That isn't even va'aven which is a problem with owning a cheftzah. The
case you give is a warning against accidental geneivah. The rope isn't
at fault, no one is saying it's assur to own a rope of a whole number
of amos in length once it gets wet.

: Another intangible unit might be currency...

Money isn't measured, it's counted. Where it was measured, as in the kesef
silver/money of the world of Tanakh or Chazal, we typically use weight.

Micha Berger             Life isn't about finding yourself
micha at aishdas.org        Life is about creating yourself.
http://www.aishdas.org                - Bernard Shaw
Fax: (270) 514-1507