[Avodah] Chilul Hasheim, Mitzvos and Aveiros

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 21 15:01:46 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 02:46:29PM -0700, saul newman wrote:
: No. It has been previously pointed out on one or both of the lists,
: that regardless of the revulsion a mitzva causes in either the eyes of
: jews/goyim, it can't be a chillul hashem by definition...

This was asserted, not proven from sources. By taking it as a given
we're presuming our conclusion.

: It must be, since the tora promises that others will see you and fear
: you as a consequence of your mitzva performance, there must be something
: lacking in our avoda....

(Nearly?) every chumerah in one area is also a qulah in another. And if
the qulah is greater than the chumera, following the stringency is not
doing Hashem's Will. In our case, if one can avoid alienating others
from Torah because one refuses to avoid an opportunity to do something
non-mandatory, the action could be a net minus on Hashem's "scale" --
and a chilul hasheim.

I'm not sure, that's why my previous post had more question marks than
periods.

Micha Berger             "Someday I will do it." - is self-deceptive.
micha at aishdas.org        "I want to do it." - is weak.
http://www.aishdas.org   "I am doing it." - that is the right way.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   - Reb Menachem Mendel of Kotzk