[Avodah] pre- leap year ki tisa

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Aug 16 12:53:02 PDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 07:11:53PM +0000, Kenneth Miller wrote:
: #1) What would the Chasam Sofer say, if we asked him why previous
: generations never institutionalized the reading of Ki Sisa in years
: prior to a leap year?

Because, as he said, you can be yotzei with Ki Seitzei and Ki Sisa
without a 2nd reading. The question would only stand if we knew for
sure that the triennial Israeli cycle didn't include some accomodation
for leap years.

: #4) I'm very fuzzy on this whole "special attention" thing. I know
: that there's a machlokes over whether Mitzvos Tzrichos Kavana...

I don't think anyone is making a "thing" of it. Just that a deOraisa
of zekhiras Amaleiq that only happens rarely will in practice get more
attention than the weekly derabbanan of leining. Since lemaaseh people's
minds do wander during leining, I could see the CS wanting to remind
people that they have a deOraisa they might be losing this week.

But we do hold that some mitzvos do because kavvanah is an inherent
part of the mitzvah. One can't do avodah shebaleiv without the leiv's
involvement, so tefillah (at least birkhas Avos) and Shema require
kavvanah.

One can remember something without kavanah for the mitzvah, as long as
they have awareness of the memory. But here too, the mitzvah inherently
requires a form of kavvanah by definition.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             When faced with a decision ask yourself,
micha at aishdas.org        "How would I decide if it were Ne'ilah now,
http://www.aishdas.org   at the closing moments of Yom Kippur?"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter