[Avodah] lost articles

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Aug 16 11:41:15 PDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 12:20:24PM +0300, Eli Turkel wrote:
: Sfat Emet has a nice vort on this weeks parsha.
: Hashev Teshivem - If a person gets lost then the way to bring him back is
: for us to do teshuva and show him the way

I'm reminded of a similar but opposite point made by R' Chaim Volozhiner
and RMMS. What is "and before Whom you are destined to give a din
vecheshbon"? Why the double language, and how do the terms differ? So
they each answer: din is judgment on the cheit itself, cheshbon is the
effects of the cheit on others.

(The Gra says -- din on what we did, cheshbon on what we could have been
doing.)

The Tanchuma (Ha'azinu, end of #10) explains "kaper le'amkha Yisrael asher
padisa" as "kaper le'amkha Yisrael" who are alive, and then "asher padisa"
(in lashon avar) for the meisim. R' Ruderman says this is what is means
that the sifrei chaim and sifrei meisim are opened on RH.

Why do the meisim need kaparah? For the sins living people are doing
today because of the sins they did whlie alive. Similarly the mitzvos
they did could inspire others to do things that have effects after the
person's death, thus earning the kaparah for the dead.

As RYS put it: When a person says LH in the beis medrash in Vilna, they
are mechalel Shabbos in Paris.

This can be understood metaphysically or in terms of a person being
responsible for the decay in mesoretic culture that would have otherwise
kept the Parisian Jew observant. AIUI (but it's my own idiosyncratic
take) RYS would hold that those are two different descriptions of the
same idea.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Man can aspire to spiritual-moral greatness
micha at aishdas.org        which is seldom fully achieved and easily lost
http://www.aishdas.org   again. Fulfillment lies not in a final goal,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      but in an eternal striving for perfection. -RSRH