[Avodah] Must we agree with the Torah?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Aug 9 14:02:06 PDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 04:51:42PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
>> Personally, I wouldn't follow a god who insisted on things that don't
>> make sense even to Him.

> So "ilu nitztavinu lachtov eitzim" means we would decide that there must
> be a reason why He needs us to do that?

You shifted topic, because I said how I felt, not what Chazal hold or
any other definition of what the ideal should be.

But you also shifted topic a second way.... I am talking theology, not
mitzvos. IOW, I have to believe that HQBH doesn't tell a person to do
something arbitrarily because otherwise He wouldn't be Him.

And, to unwind the conversation a step, given that everything He demands
of us has some point, I asked whether REBA's definition of ol malkhus
Shamayim refers necessarily to following HQBH out of respect for the
Commander or if it also includes trust that the King has reasons that
I would agree to if I could be sufficiently wise.

Either could be in contradistinction to "ee ifshi".

I am inclined toward the latter, but I have no proof with which to close
that question.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Friendship is like stone. A stone has no value,
micha at aishdas.org        but by rubbing one stone against another,
http://www.aishdas.org   sparks of fire emerge.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  - Rav Mordechai of Lechovitz