[Avodah] Must we agree with the Torah?

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Thu Aug 8 19:18:33 PDT 2013

On 8/8/2013 5:20 PM, Zev Sero wrote:
> I don't think that answers the question.  What REBA seems to be saying is
> that one shouldn't say that I wouldn't want pork, and even if it were
> permitted I wouldn't eat it, so the prohibition is no burden on me.  But
> I think the question here is, now that it *is* prohibited, is it
> proper to
> want it anyway, but to dutifully avoid it, or is it proper to say that
> although it's probably tasty, and if I didn't know that Hashem doesn't
> like it I'd probably eat it, but since I do know that I no longer want
> it.

I think that's overthinking things a bit.  I *want* to be able to eat
baby back ribs.  My favorite food in the world.  If I were to find out
tomorrow that I wasn't really Jewish, that'd be the first thing I do.
If they ever come out with a kosher food that tastes the same, I'll be
eating it.

So... I want to eat pork ribs, but I don't want to eat something assur.
  What does that mean?  It means that I wish pork ribs weren't assur.
Should I pretend not to want what I want just because Hashem says so?  I
don't think so, and I don't think Hashem wants that of us.  There's a
reason why it's called kabbalat ol.  We aren't always going to be
gung-ho cheerleaders for what Hashem commands us, but we bend our will
(not our desires; our will) to Him.

IMRHO, anyway.

Lisa