[Avodah] Must we agree with the Torah?

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Thu Aug 8 19:25:04 PDT 2013

On 8/8/2013 9:01 PM, Zev Sero wrote:
> I think that's precisely what the question is, and I'm not so sure
> that your answer is correct.  It's one tzad, of course, but perhaps,
> now that you know Hashem says they're bad, it would be proper, a midas
> chassidus, not to *pretend* not to like them, but to develop a genuine
> distaste for them. Perhaps now that you know He doesn't like them you
> ought to try to become like Him by not liking them either.  It's a
> plausible position, and the memra that you quoted doesn't contradict it.

I think you're assigning feelings to Hashem that aren't justifiable.
Is it your contention that everything Hashem says is forbidden to us is
"bad"? If pork is "bad", why would a merciful God permit it to non-Jews?
I think that what REBA is saying is specifically that the important
thing is to obey Him, and not necessarily to clamp down on our feelings
about it. That, in fact, it's more praiseworthy to refrain out of
obedience to Hashem than it is to refrain out of one's own tastes.

And in Pirkei Avot, it says "asei retzonach retzono". Not "asei taamach
taamo" or "asei cheshkeich cheshkav".

Lisa