[Avodah] Must we agree with the Torah?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Aug 8 19:01:53 PDT 2013

On 8/08/2013 9:40 PM, Lisa Liel wrote:
> So... I want to eat pork ribs, but I don't want to eat something
> assur. What does that mean?  It means that I wish pork ribs weren't
> assur. Should I pretend not to want what I want just because Hashem
> says so?  I don't think so, and I don't think Hashem wants that of
> us.  There's a reason why it's called kabbalat ol.  We aren't always
> going to be gung-ho cheerleaders for what Hashem commands us, but we
> bend our will (not our desires; our will) to Him.

I think that's precisely what the question is, and I'm not so sure that
your answer is correct. It's one tzad, of course, but perhaps, now that
you know Hashem says they're bad, it would be proper, a midas chassidus,
not to *pretend* not to like them, but to develop a genuine distaste
for them. Perhaps now that you know He doesn't like them you ought to try
to become like Him by not liking them either. It's a plausible position,
and the memra that you quoted doesn't contradict it.

--
Zev Sero
zev at sero.name