[Avodah] Synthetic Meat

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 6 06:53:57 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 06:26:56AM +0300, Eitan Levy wrote:
> This seems to be the opposite case though. In your case the egg grows
> inside the meat. Here we take the 'egg,' grow a bunch of them outside the
> original 'host', mush them together and eat them...

I'm not sure how that makes a difference to my question. Either both
are microscopic and don't count, or they do count because their effects
are macroscopic.

I like RZS's idea that if at all, it would at worst be assur in the
first or second round. And therefore even if one holds one must pay
attention to the initial miscroscopic collection of stem cells, it
wouldn't impact the market in practice. That seems to be what we hold
WRT kefir, a Russian yoghurt (yoghurt-like food?) made from n-th hand
cultures (kefir "grains").

Micha Berger             A wise man is careful during the Purim banquet
micha at aishdas.org        about things most people don't watch even on
http://www.aishdas.org   Yom Kippur.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter