[Avodah] Synthetic Meat

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Aug 5 16:20:51 PDT 2013

On 5/08/2013 7:03 PM, M Cohen wrote:

> The fact that the originating davar hamaamid cells are not detectable in the
> final product (or not visible) doesn't help.
> The fact that they grow as fungus doesn't help, the starter davar hamaamid
> is not kosher

By the time any such product went to market it would surely be many more than
three generations distant from its animal ancestor, just in going through the
testing the governments of various countries would require before approving it.
Thus, based on the BY at the end of YD 115 (cited by the Taz in the same place),
we can be confident that no mamoshus of the original starter is left in it, and
thus it's kosher.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to