[Avodah] Synthetic Meat

M Cohen mcohen at touchlogic.com
Mon Aug 5 16:03:02 PDT 2013

...Stem cells which are in an aqueous solution and have absolutely no
visible, detectable metziyus, were injected with genetic material from the
nuclei of cardiac cells.  The cells divide on an agar medium etc

Perhaps I don't understand the process properly. I thought..

Stem cells are extracted from a live animal (basar min hachai) or a just
killed one (treifah).
Then added to a chemical soup base (agar etc) where they divide and grow.

Why is this not simple a case where the davar hamaamid is not kosher, and
therefore the end result is not kosher.

This was my original assumption.

The fact that the originating davar hamaamid cells are not detectable in the
final product (or not visible) doesn't help.
The fact that they grow as fungus doesn't help, the starter davar hamaamid
is not kosher

Mordechai cohen