[Avodah] Grape Juice

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sun Jul 21 14:58:45 PDT 2013

It's a short article, so I'll quote it in its entirety. The original is on the OU website at http://tinyurl.com/lnodcvk

> Kedem Mevushal / Not Mevushal Update
>
> The Daf HaKashrus discussed at length the designations of
> Mevushal and Not Mevushal Kedem wines in its Volume c -
> No. 3 issue. The following is the current status of these
> wines:
>
> 1. The Grape Juice bottles that state on their labels
> Mevushal are accepted by all as Mevushal.
>
> 2. The Grape Juice bottles that state on their labels Not
> Mevushal are accepted by all as Not Mevushal.
>
> 3. The Grape Juice bottles that do not state on their
> labels Mevushal or Not Mevushal:
> A) according to the Tzelihmer Rav Zt"l are not Mevushal.
> B) according to Rav Moshe Feinstein Zt"l and the are Mevushal.

I draw several conclusions from this article. First, the grape juice that R' Zev is referring to has no notice at all on the label regarding the mevushal status. Second, they also produce grape juice which is not mevushal even according to RMF, and those labels are marked as Not Mevushal. (I do not know where to obtain those, but I do recall seeing one, once upon a time.)

Akiva Miller