[Avodah] boiling water

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Jul 19 14:26:14 PDT 2013

On 19/07/2013 1:24 PM, T613K at aol.com wrote:
> My daughter learned in seminary that you're not allowed to (or should not) drink water that has been heated but not to the point of boiling.  If it was boiled and then cooled off that's OK but you can't pour yourself a cup of coffee from the kettle before the water boils.  I told her I had never heard of this and would ask my learned friends on Avodah.  Anybody?

She was told this was a matter of Torah or halacha, rather than health or
water quality?

If you're in a place where you have to boil the water, then it has to boil.
Also I find that making instant coffee with unboiled water causes white stuff
to go to the top, I really don't know why, but it's not attractive.

So I think this is why someone told your daughter this, not for any reason to
do with yiddishkeit.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to