[Avodah] Grape Juice

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Fri Jul 19 14:23:23 PDT 2013

R' Martin Brody wrote:

> The grape juice of the gamara, squeezed before Shabbat, has
> already started the fermentation process, so as undetectable
> as it is, a short while later, it does have the potential to
> become wine and is permitted for kiddush.

What is your source that being the fruit of the grape is insufficient, and that the fermentation process needs to have begun?

> ... all stam grape juice is probably kosher, mevushal ...
> And also Kedem's claim that it does produce non-mevushal
> grape juice is a bit lame, because by FDA law and Kedem's
> own admission it is cooked at the regulatary minimum
> which I think is 160 degrees.Yes, I'm aware of the mevushal/
> temperature arguements)  As an added protection, grape juice
> is then pasteurised 3 more times during the production/
> bottling etc.

Then perhaps you should call it "cooked" or "pasteurized". But to call it "mevushal" is to invoke halachic factors which you have not proven. It is similar to saying that carrying a piece of paper in the street is not a melacha; it very well might not be "work", but "melacha" is something else entirely.

Akiva Miller