[Avodah] Grape Juice

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Jul 19 12:09:49 PDT 2013

On 19/07/2013 1:12 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> Could you please provide me with a mar'eh maqom of a halachic
> source that holds pasteurization would make wine mevushal?

It depends at what temperature it was pasteurised.  I'm I'm reading this
http://tinyurl.com/nxkv75q correctly, the FDA recommended levels seem to be :

160 degrees F for 6 seconds (recommended treatment conditions in New York),
165 degrees F for 2.8 seconds,
170 degrees F for 1.3 seconds,
175 degrees F for 0.6 seconds, or
180 degrees F for 0.3 seconds

 From what I can gather, RMF holds that 170F is enough for mevushal,
while the Tzelemer (Kedem's original machshir) holds it's more like 190.
Nobody seems to hold 160 is enough, but they usually do it at 180, which
is enough for RMF.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to