[Avodah] Grape Juice

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 19 10:12:39 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 06:19:15PM -0700, martin brody wrote:
:                                 ( And also Kedem's claim that it does
: produce non-mevushal grape juice is a bit lame, because by FDA law and
: Kedem's own admission it is cooked at the regulatary minimum which I think
: is 160 degrees.Yes, I'm aware of the mevushal/temperature arguements)

There is an argument? (That's a question, not a rhetorical form of
rejection.)

The only person I know who speaks of pasteurization as sufficient to
render yayin mevushal is Silverman, in his C responsum, and he only
suggests it as one factor toward leniency that he wished to combine to
others. Could you please provide me with a mar'eh maqom of a halachic
source that holds pasteurization would make wine mevushal?

:-)BBii!