[Avodah] Havdalah during the nine days

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Wed Jul 17 08:24:14 PDT 2013

R' Eli Turkel wrote:
> Rav Tzvi Rimon suggests using grape juice since it is only a
> minhag to not drink grape juice during the 9 days.

I had thought that nowadays just about everyone puts grape juice and wine in the same category. Arba Kosos is an exception, where many require the intoxicating ability. But otherwise, for brachos, kashrus, and Friday night Kiddush, I thought they'd be the same.

How does Rav Rimon hold on these other areas? Is grape juice Hagafen? Does it become assur on being touched by an akum? Can it be used for Friday night Kiddush? If he says yes to these three, then I'd like to hear more about why he distinguishes between wine and grape juice during the nine days. And if his answer is the alcohol, then does he allow beer or whiskey during the nine days?

I'm not challenging him, chalilah. But Torah hee, ul'lamda ani tzarich.

Akiva Miller