[Avodah] Havdalah During the Nine Days

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 16 08:51:59 PDT 2013

My annual question is whether the better choice were beer or grape juice.

Which reflects two very different ways of how to extrapolate beyond
halachic "must / may not" to aggadic "ought" of lifnim mishuras hadin. Do
we measure it in aggadic terms, and since beer gives an alcoholic "buzz"
like wine, it's the more similar? Or do we treat it as an exension of
halakhah, making grape juice a kind of wine by rigid legal reasoning.

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507