[Avodah] Abortion isn't Murder

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jul 17 02:39:58 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 10:36:56PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> This disproves RMB's proposed diyuk of "KErodef velo rodef mamash"...

Not /my/ diyuq, though. "RJHendell quoted RASoloveitchik who notes that
the Rambam (Rotzeiach 1:9)... This is the shitah of ROY (Yabia Omer 4,
EH 1)."

> the unborn baby were only "KErodef", then it would be obvious that once he
> is born that is not enough to justify killing him...

And it isn't -- that's the end of that halakhah in the Rambam:
"ve'im mishehotzi rosho, ein noge'in bo, she'ein dochin nefesh mipenei
nefesh." If the baby wasn't born yet, we say it's kerodeif and abort
to save the mother. But if te head emerged, we do not choose one life
over the other. And the whole justification for the diyuq. RAS's point
is more from the contrast than the "ke-".

Micha Berger             "And you shall love H' your G-d with your whole
micha at aishdas.org        heart, your entire soul, and all you own."
http://www.aishdas.org   Love is not two who look at each other,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      It is two who look in the same direction.