[Avodah] Ahavat Chinam

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jul 11 14:15:52 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 11:09:38AM -0400, cantorwolberg at cox.net wrote:
: In fact, even in instances in which it is permitted to hate another, there
: may be a level of love that must always remain...

Tosafos (Pesachim 113b "sheta'ah bo") ask about the word "sonei".
The Gemara (BM Eilu Metzi'os 32b-33a) says that if someone has to choose
between unloading a friend's donkey, or loading that of someone he hates,
one should choose helping the one he hates, because kefiyas yeitzer is
a mitzvah.

(In other cases, unloading has priority over loading, because of tzaar
baalei chaim.)

But the gemara the Tosafos are commenting on, in Pesachim, we learn that
this rule applies to unloading an enemy's donkey where the enemy is a
sinner of the sort that we're supposed to and even obligated to hate
him. So they ask, why then is there a mitzvah to overcome that hatred?

Tosafos answer that the justified enmity can cause a cycle of hatred.
As is says in Mishlei 27: "Kamayim hapanim lepanim, kein lev hadam
la'adam". And so the measure of hatred one is supposed to have can grow,
"uva'in mitokh kakh lidei sina'h gemurah".

And so, we must control the yeitzer even when hatred is appropriate,
lest it grow to sin'ah gemurah.

 ----------

Another riff on Cantor Rich's's theme:

People are capable of ambivalence. In fact, in the Alter of Slabodka's
thought, the primary effect of the fruit of the Eitz haDaas Tov vaRa
was to make it so that we are perpetually acting from a mix of motives
and feeling a mix of responses. As Chazal put it, it's not the Tree
of Knowledge, but of Knowledge of Good and Evil, tov vara beirbuvya,
as an inseperable mixture.

Thus RMMS (the last LR) explained that R' Nachman could state "mitzvah
gedolah lihyos besimchah tamid" even in these 9 Days. Because people
can feel mixed emotions, one can be besimchah about being an eved
Hashem even while feeling aveilus for the tragedy of the churbanos
(and everything that ensued from them).

And one can love another or some aspects of them while also feeling hate
for other apects.

: This reminds me of parents who will tell a child: I don't like you right now
: but I always LOVE you.

Off-topic, but better to take the stance, "I don't like what you are doing
right now, but..."