[Avodah] FROM BITTER TO SWEET TO P'SHAT

cantorwolberg at cox.net cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sat Sep 28 18:45:32 PDT 2013

Today we benched Rosh Chodesh Cheshvan.

It's the only month we insert the adjective "mar" before "cheshvan."

We all know the traditional reason given why we insert the word "mar"
before this coming month.

However, I've come up with another reason that I would like to share.

Rashi calculated that Noah enters the ark (at which time the flood
rains begin) on the 17th of Cheshvan.
Hence, the association of Cheshvan with the destruction of the world
could be looked upon as quite a "bitter" event.

May our Cheshvan be as the 27th of Cheshvan exactly one solar year
later than when Noah entered the ark.

According to Rashi's calculation, it was one solar year and 11 days
later on the lunar calendar which was the 27th of Cheshvan
when the ground was fully dried and Noah left the ark. May we live to
see mar Cheshvan become matok Cheshvan.

I have been made aware by R' Micha that
    the real name of the month is Marcheshvan, from the Babylonian
    "Merach Shevan", or "8th Month".

     Just like when going from Hebrew to Aramaic, shin often becomes
     tav (shalash -> telas) and tzadi often turns into ayin (beitzah ->
     bei'ah), between Hebrew and Babylonian, mem often switches with yud
     and vav. So our "yareiach" is their "merach", and our "shemini"
     is their "shevan". But unlike October, Marcheshvan really IS the
     8th month.

Nevertheless, many of you know I love d'rash. It does serve a valuable
purpose, as long as it's not purported to be the actual p'shat.