[Avodah] Rambam on False Messiahs

shalomyitz at comcast.net shalomyitz at comcast.net
Mon Aug 26 21:08:28 PDT 2013

In Mishneh Torah Melachim uMilchamot 11, the Rambam writes that if a ruler arises and
he isn't successful in building the mikdash and gathering the exiles, or he dies, then he
isn't the Moshiach, and "HKB"H caused him to arise only to test the many".

But what, according to Rambam, is passing the test? Do we pass the test if we don't
follow the Moshiach while he is alive, or if we do? That is, following him while he is alive
and trying to build the Mikdash, etc -- assuming he appears to have the qualities of Moshiach --
could be a sign that we believe in Moshiach, and that we are trying to make the conditions right
to usher in the Messianic era.

On the other hand, maybe passing the test is NOT being 'fooled' by a false messiah. (Although
Rambam seems to imply that many people could be the Messiah, and we should believe until
we get proof otherwise -- by failure or death).

A third possibility: The test only refers to what happens when the supposed messiah fails or dies.
Then, obviously, we should not believe he was the messiah, and shouldn't follow him.

Thanks for your insight.

Steve