[Avodah] The Compelling Contrast

cantorwolberg at cox.net cantorwolberg at cox.net
Mon Aug 26 14:01:57 PDT 2013

The question has been asked why in the sh'ma,  the word "l'vovcho" is spelled with two "baises." The correct spelling would be with one "bais."
The brilliant explanation is that we serve G-d with both the yetzer tov and the yetzer (ha)ra. Recently, on a Chabad Discussion group the question
was asked why many talleisim have black stripes on a white garment.  A compelling answer is: As with the "l'vovcho:, the black on the tallit is symbolic
of the yetzer hara and the white is symbolic of the yetzer tov. When we look at the tallit prior to putting it on, we are reminded to serve G-d with both "yetzers."
To carry this concept further, we conquer our "yetzer hara" by bringing it right into the shul where it hopefully loses its power.

Today's neglected children will be tomorrow's lost adults.
rw