[Avodah] off the derech

saul newman newman400 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 20:55:02 PDT 2013

r oberstein  at c-c  comments---

Rashi on this week’s parsha comments that the parents of the engaged girl
who is beng stoned have to be there when the sentence is carried out. “See
the one you raised” seems to me to be public shaming of the mother and
father for having a child go far off the derech. Does the Torah really mean
that if a frum family has a child who leaves Yiddishkeit, becomes an
addict, gets into big legal trouble, that his father and mother should be
publicly held accountable? Isn’t that what Rashi is saying and does it not
negate much of what we have learned subsequently . Can you imagine how
hurtful this is for anyone who isn’t fortunate enough to have 100% sucess
with all of their children. This affects people from the very best families.