[Avodah] VOWS

cantorwolberg at cox.net cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sun Jul 7 15:46:36 PDT 2013

The Torah states regarding the taking of a vow, “If a man takes a vow to Hashem or swears an oath to establish a prohibition upon himself,
he shall not desecrate his word,”    The Gemara in Tractate Shavuos states, “For the sin of vows, one’s wife and children die (when the children are minors).”
I would be interested to know what I am missing?
In other words, Avraham pleads for saving wicked people for the sake of a righteous minority.
I can understand the above statement in the gemara if the wife is a rasha and the children are reincarnated from previous wicked lives.
But if not, what is going on here??