[Avodah] Judaism or witchcraft?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 1 14:42:03 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:47:51AM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
> But joking or not, it's kind of scary.  It seems to be part and parcel
> of a de-intellectualization in the frum community that's blurring the
> line between serious frumkeit and magic.

> Is there any basis for this sort of stuff?

We revisit the subject of segulos with some regularity.

If the idea is to enhance kavanah, so that a tefillah or a mitzvah
is done with more meaning, yes. Unless you're willing to take on the
gemara's proposing simanei milsa for RH...

If the idea is to effect change in this world through manipulation of
metaphysical forces, my Litvisher ancestors would call it nichush and
a violation of tamim tihyeh.