[Avodah] Beis Yosef Meat

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jun 30 03:41:04 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 06:30:19AM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> I don't know about shechitah, but it's my understanding that nikkur
> according to minhag Sefard, which is more lenient than minhag Ashkenaz...

I don't know about practice, but the amoraim are choleqim on the shiur
for shehiyah, the Rif, Rambam, Tur and Mechabeir all have a shiur,
and we Ashk (starting at least with the Rama) hold it's a mah shehu.

However, RYL asked RSM, who is *the* authority on how meat is shechted
lemaaseh. If R' Mandel said that all Seph meat is kosher to Ashk, I
assume they lemaaseh do niqur and avoid shehiyah in ways that make
that statement true.

Micha Berger             It is a glorious thing to be indifferent to
micha at aishdas.org        suffering, but only to one's own suffering.
http://www.aishdas.org                 -Robert Lynd, writer (1879-1949)
Fax: (270) 514-1507