[Avodah] Chazon Ish on treifot

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Mon Jun 28 09:16:53 PDT 2010

Micha-The CI defines the 2 millenia of Torah as one in which we were given that authority. Not just the normal nisqatnu hadoros. He uses it to explain the line between tannaim and amoraim.

Therefore, since we're not in the middle third of history anymore, that authority simply doesn't exist, even if we could get universal consensus.
Not until the 7th millenium, it would seem.
Me-Yes but the Maharsha (I'll get the direct site at home) is pretty clear iirc that  it's not that the last 2000 aren't torah, it's an additional feature.  Also R'HS often states that the only line between the tannaim and amoraim is a self-imposed one (i.e. not required by halacha) whereas the line between amoraim and later is required because of the lack of a gathering/consensus  thereafter.  Thus my question (iirc R'HS  also says the Rabbis should all get together and talk about whether stainless steel is bolea and poleit)

I also hadn't realized that the CI implies that the reality might  have changed over time prior to the list freeze - so it really sounds like the list couldn't have been a halacha moshe misinai (which is how it was initially explained to me 1000 years ago)

What I found entertaining is who RYGB was replying to... The archive identifies a "<Joelir... at aol.com>"...

If I remembered half of what I learned........:-)

KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.