[Avodah] Rav Yisroel Belsky on Anisakis Worms

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jun 10 12:05:33 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 05:28:37PM -0400, Rich, Joel wrote:
:> There is no need to claim that Chazal were ignorant of science (although
:> they did not have microscopes to view items not visible to the naked eye):

:> Chazal had a tradition about many things, what was muttar and what was
:> osur, that was part of the Oral Tradition. They may have given a reason
:> in the G'moro for the tradition, but the tradition exists independently
:> of any reason they gave.

: I have seen this explanation given in a number of instances, but isn't
: the logical implication of this that extrapolation from the reasons to new
: cases is not guaranteed to give the correct result ( or put differently,
: isn't any extrapolation a safek)

Isn't that the whole basis of the position we've discussed besheim the Gra
and RAYKook?

Since we don't know, we can only extrapolate lechumerah. And if we see the
science in a way that brings us to a kulah, we have to be concerned that
perhaps there is more going on than we're aware of.

Micha Berger             Rescue me from the desire to win every
micha at aishdas.org        argument and to always be right.
http://www.aishdas.org              - Rav Nassan of Breslav
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   Likutei Tefilos 94:964