[Avodah] borders of EY

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon May 24 14:33:54 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:09:58PM +0300, Eli Turkel wrote:
:>: I recall that there is a machloket whether the days of Ezra is to
:>: be taken literally or includes conquests of the Chashmanoim.

:> Obviously this gemara in Demai assumes the former.

: From Encylopedia Talmudit:
: The Kesef Mishna Shmitta and Yovel 4:28 takes it for granted
: that the cities conquered by Yannai have kedusha of Ezra.
: So he obviously learned differently in Demai

Or the Bavli was choleiq. That is what I was figuring (not that I claim
to have remembered it was bedavqa the KM) when I limited my comment to
"this gemara in Demai".

In any case, it doesn't look to me like the KM actually does equate
Alexander Yannai's acquisitions to qedushas Ezra. The Rambam 4:28 is
talking about shemittah derbannan WRT zeri'ah, whereas the KM says in
4:29 that qedushas Ezra creates an issur de'oraisa (when yosheveha aleha)
WRT zeri'ah. There is nothing in KM's 4:28 for me to think he is choleiq
on the Rambam.

The "ad Keziv" in the Rambam's 4:26 is the limit of olei Bavel, not of
Alexander Yannai. It is from Shevi'is 6:1, and is also an idiom used in
Y-mi Demai.

Micha Berger             You will never "find" time for anything.
micha at aishdas.org        If you want time, you must make it.
http://www.aishdas.org                     - Charles Buxton
Fax: (270) 514-1507