[Avodah] Star-K on Worms in Fish

Yitzchok Levine Larry.Levine at stevens.edu
Sun May 23 09:19:34 PDT 2010

Below is the recent Star-K post regarding
checking for bugs in fish. It is from
http://star-k.org/cons-vegdetail.php?ID=74

I found the listing under "only the variety of
fish found on the following list may be used
without any need for inspection" of gefilte fish
and minced fish sticks surprising.   After all,
one could conceivably use some of the varieties
of fish listed under "should NOT be used" in the
making of gefilte fish and/or minced fish.
Indeed, A & B sells (or at least did sell) salmon
gefilte fish. See
http://www.gefiltefish.com/product.asp?id=1&subid=58&productID=445

Presumably the fact that the fish is ground up
and therefore the worms are also ground up is why
the Star-K lists gefilte fish and minced fish as
being OK, no matter what kind of fish these
products are made from. IIRC, there was something
about pureeing strawberries that might be bug infested and then using them.

I am not sure exactly how grinding or pureeing
works halachically so that one may use the
result. True, one can no longer see the worms or
bugs, but why is one allowed to do this
l'chatchila?  Is it not being mevatel an issur up front?

YL

----------

Fish

Checking Instructions

Please note the following regarding all Star-K
insect checking instructions: When applicable,
guidelines apply to produce grown and purchased
in the United States. Checking procedures in other countries may be different.

May 18, 2010

Recently there has been much discussion about the
fish worms called Anisakis. These worms/parasites
have been found in certain species of fish. Some
Gedolei Eretz Yisroel have ruled that these worms
are halachically prohibited and, therefore, those
species of fish must be inspected prior to use.
Since we at Star-K strive to have our kosher
certified products accepted by all kosher
consumers, Rabbi Moshe Heinemann has instructed
Star-K establishments and mashgichim that only
the non-problematic fish be used. Until we issue
policies and procedures for inspections (as we
have for vegetables and fruit) the problematic
species of fish - fresh, frozen or canned - will
not be used, even with kosher certification
(unless prior approval is given by Star-K.)

Rabbi Heinemann recommends that consumers follow
the same policy. Therefore, only non-problematic
fish should be used until guidelines for
inspection are issued. As with all halachic
issues, people should follow the guidance of their personal Rav.

Updates will be posted on this site.

Policy

The following lists are based on research by
<http://www.kehilasyaakov.org/Fish.html>Rabbi
Gershon Bess. Note: Please READ CAREFULLY since
there are some species of fish that appear on
both lists. Their acceptability or
non-acceptability depends on where they
originate. We have no information about fish not included on this list.

Until further notice, only the variety of fish
found on the following list may be used without any need for inspection:
    * Carp
    * Flounder - Only Fluke, Georgia Banks, Channel
    * Gefilte Fish
    * Herring fillet
    * Lox - Farm Raised [if wild, would state "wild”]
    * Minced Fish Sticks
    * Pike
    * Pollock - Atlantic
    * Red Snapper - Eastern or Atlantic only
    * Salmon - Farm Raised (e.g. Atlantic,
Norwegian, Chilean, New Zealand, British Columbia )
    * Sardines - from Morocco, Philippines, Portugal
    * Sea Bass – Striped Bass, Grouper (Mexican), Blue Nose (New Zealand)
    * Tilapia
    * Trout
    * Tuna
    * Whitefish - Michigan-Lake Superior
    * Whiting

Until we issue policies and procedures for
inspections (as we have for vegetables and fruit)
the following species of fish (fresh, frozen or
canned) should NOT be used (even with kosher certification):
    * Butterfish
    * Cod - Scrod, Hake
    * Flounder - Yellow Tail, Wild Dabs, Black Backs, Turbot, Yellow Fin Sole
    * Halibut
    * Pollack – Alaskan – Fillet fish sticks or patties
    * Red Perch
    * Red Snapper - Pacific
    * Sable a.k.a Black Cod - including Smoked
    * Salmon, Wild - Fresh/Frozen/Canned – All types
    * Sardines – Norway, Scotland
    * Sole
    * Yellow Fin Sole