[Avodah] Mitzvos and Morality (was: [Areivim] more RCA reaction)

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sat May 22 23:02:23 PDT 2010

redirected from Areivim at moderator request

From: Eli Turkel _eliturkel at gmail.com_ (mailto:eliturkel at gmail.com)

>> There  is also the opinion of Yeshaya Leibowitz that there is no
connection at all  between mitzvot and good or moral. <<

--
Eli  Turkel

I cannot understand or process such a statement.

Think of the many exhortations to treat widows, orphans and converts justly
 and charitably -- often with a reminder, "You know the heart of a stranger
 because you were strangers yourselves in Egypt."

Look at the Haftara of Tisha B'Av, from Yirmiyahu: "Mi ha'ish hechacham
veyaven es zos...Who is the wise man who can understand this?...al meh avdah
ha'aretz?...why was Eretz Yisrael destroyed and left desolate, her people
scattered to the four corners of the earth?  Vayomer Hashem, al azvam es
Torasi....Hashem says, it is because they abandoned My Torah.....Al yis-hallel
hachacham bechachmaso, ve'al yishallel hagibor bigvuraso....Let not the
genius  pride himself on his intellect, let the hero not pride himself on his
strength,  let not the wealthy man pride himself on his wealth....Rather if
someone wants  to pride himself on anything, let him pride himself on
studying and knowing  Me...Ki Ani Hashem oseh chessed mishpat utzedakah
be'aretz...For I, Hashem, do  chessed, justice and charity in the land...ki ve'eileh
chafatzti ne'um  Hashem...This is what I desire, says Hashem."

"Azvam es Torasi" is here equated with abandoning chessed, mishpat and
tzedakah.  And there is "no connection at all between mitzvos and  good or
moral"?!

--Toby Katz