[Avodah] Creation eternal heretical - hashkafa question

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Sun May 16 10:54:22 PDT 2010

RCM:
:> Basic hashkafa dictates the fundamental reason for the creation and
:> existence of the universe is the desire by HKB"H to exercise his hatava
:> which requires a recipient.
Me:
: This is the RaMChaL's opinion, but it is NOT the Rambam's.  See MN III:25.
RMB:
<<It's also RSG's. See HaEmunah vehaBitachon 3:1.

The Rambam you cite is about tzadiq vera lo, not the purpose of beri'ah
as a whole. He does extend it in the next pereq to explain that mitzvos
must too have purpose -- but not to equate those purposes. Can you point
to a specific line where he addresses our question?

I was thinking perhaps the Moreh 3:13 which opens by saying the question
is absurd -- we cannot know the object of His Will.>>

My mistake.  I did indeed mean III:13 (tr. Friedlander p. 276): "Just as we do not ask what is the purpose of God's existence, so we do not ask what was the object of His will ..."

David Riceman