[Avodah] Creation eternal heretical - hashkafa question

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu May 13 10:30:40 PDT 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 09:34:17AM -0400, David Riceman wrote:
:> Basic hashkafa dictates the fundamental reason for the creation and
:> existence of the universe is the desire by HKB"H to exercise his hatava
:> which requires a recipient.

: This is the RaMChaL's opinion, but it is NOT the Rambam's.  See MN III:25.

It's also RSG's. See HaEmunah vehaBitachon 3:1.

The Rambam you cite is about tzadiq vera lo, not the purpose of beri'ah
as a whole. He does extend it in the next pereq to explain that mitzvos
must too have purpose -- but not to equate those purposes. Can you point
to a specific line where he addresses our question?

I was thinking perhaps the Moreh 3:13 which opens by saying the question
is absurd -- we cannot know the object of His Will.

micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Malchus: What type of justice
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            does unity demand?