[Avodah] Rav Shimon Schwab on how Jewish women should dress

Chana Luntz Chana at Kolsassoon.org.uk
Wed May 12 14:07:43 PDT 2010

RYL writes:

> What is your basis for assuming that an insane man cannot appreciate
> his wife's tachshitim?   Can't a Schizophrenic appreciate beauty? What
> about a serial killer?

The gemora (48a) defines the two cases (the husband becoming insane or the
husband going to medinas hayam) as both being cases where he "yotzei" ie
goes out or away  - with the case of him going to medinas hayam as being a
case of yotzei medaas [one who leaves intentionally] and the one who becomes
insane as being yotzei shelo medaas [one who leaves unintentionally].  And
so is it used throughout the various discussions (for example, the point the
Haflah makes regarding there being no difference whether the husband goes
out intentionally or unintentionally).  The assumption clearly is throughout
that we are talking about a husband who sufficiently insane that he is no
longer living with her (with her being left as potentially a lifelong
agunah)

> YL

Regards

Chana