[Avodah] borders of Israel

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed May 12 07:54:09 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 02:44:00PM +0300, Eli Turkel wrote:
: I recall that there is a machloket whether the days of Ezra is to
: be taken literally or includes conquests of the Chashmanoim.

Obviously this gemara in Demai assumes the former.

: Historically we know that the Jews in the days of Ezra lived
: in a small setllement in the environs of Jerusalem...

But we don't know how large of a colony they were granted. As you write:
: at the numbers listed in Ezra are very small to inhabit a country.

: There is no way that this land extended way up north to Acco and beyond.

But6 they could have been granted reshus to grow that far, as needed.

: BTW forgive me for coming in the middle but is there anyone who bases
: the halachic borders on todays population...

Tzitz Eliezer 3:23 discusses the number of days Yom Tov one must
observe in Eilat.

Leshitas haRambam, it's one day because the messengers could have
reached there had Elat been settled at the time.
Leshitas haRitva, it's one day because any place that was settled
contiguous to EY has qedushas EY!

I also recall R' Riskin showing us, the students of his HS, a halachic
essay by R' Meir Kahane. He concluded that current settlement can redefine
the borders. From what I vaguely remember (I learned the article in HS),
it seemed pretty lomdish to the bachur-I-once-was. But that's all I can
say about that.

If you can, see also Simchas Kohein (of RRCohen of Djerba) OC #157.

There is also good survey by R' Chaim Steiner about the southern halachic
border <http://www.yeshiva.org.il/midrash/shiur.asp?id=3030&cat=224>.

Micha Berger             Today is the 43rd day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 1 day in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Chesed sheb'Malchus: How does unity result in
Fax: (270) 514-1507                           good for all mankind?