[Avodah] borders of Israel

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed May 12 04:44:00 PDT 2010

<<More so, we lean a couple of blatt later at the begining of pere 2 of the
Y-mi, that lands that weren't conqured in the days of Ezra but were part
of EY by the days of the tannaim are also not subject to demai.

Which would seem to put to rest ideas that growth of Israel's borders
today would impact the range of lands covered by mitzvos hateluyos
baaretz.>>

I recall that there is a machloket whether the days of Ezra is to
be taken literally or includes conquests of the Chashmanoim.
Historically we know that the Jews in the days of Ezra lived
in a small setllement in the environs of Jerusalem. Just looking
at the numbers listed in Ezra are very small to inhabit a country.
There is no way that this land extended way up north to Acco and beyond.

On in the days of Alexander Yannai did the borders reach these cities.

BTW forgive me for coming in the middle but is there anyone who bases
the halachic borders on todays population. In Israel it is weel
accepted that the southern Negev does not take out terumot and maaserot
with the discussion only being exactly where to draw the line but
certainly Eilat is outside the  mitzvos hateluyos
baaretz territory

--
Eli Turkel