[Avodah] Rav Shimon Schwab on how Jewish women shoulddress

Michael Poppers MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Thu May 6 18:42:22 PDT 2010

In Avodah V27#113, RSBA wrote:
> Talking of which, a puzzling Rashi in Shmos 31:18 dh Kechaloso: "Ma
kallah
miskashetes b-24 kishutin - hen ho'amurim besefer Yeshaya [3: 18-23]"
> However when you look it up, you'll find that this is the same Yeshayahu
that RSS refers to and the Navi there is warning the Bnos Yisroel of
terrible punishments for outfitting themselves with these 24 kishutin.
Nowhere is there any mention of this being OK and the standard for a
kallah.
> Yelamdeinu raboseinu... <
Such kishutin would seem appropriate in the extreme for a kallah about to
enter married life (in a way similar to the Torah being given to MRAH and
K'lal Yisrael [and I use "k'lal" deliberately, as, IINM, the first p'shat
mentioned by RaShY really has more to do w/ MRAH receiving k'lalim/rules to
use at a later time]) -- these kishutin aren't per se evil even for
already-married ladies, much less kallos! and why would you expect
Y'sha'yahu to mention their being
"OK and the standard for a kallah" when such clearly was Torah sheb'al peh
as recorded in Shir haShirim Rabbah (quoted by RSS, by the way, in his
comments on Y'sha'yahu 3:17, and perhaps RDrYL would like to post those
comments, too...) and elsewhere?

Tangentially, this "puzzling Rashi" (his "davar acheir") is also brought
down by the Ba'al haTurim, a favorite peirush of yours (and mine) :).

A guten Shabbes and all the best from
--Michael Poppers via RIM pager