[Avodah] Rav Shimon Schwab on how Jewish women should dress

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Thu May 6 04:54:57 PDT 2010

At 07:41 AM 5/6/2010, Michael Poppers wrote:
>RYL sh'l'y't'a' didn't fully quote RSS z'l'. He should now quote the
>paragraph(s) regarding Jewish ladies and their husbands ;-). Thanks.

Indeed, I should have. Rav Schwab also wrote the following about this issue. YL

"Unquestionably, women's beauty certainly has its place. Jewish women
are encouraged to make themselves attractive to their husbands. The
references to women's perfumes and cosmetics in the Mishnah or Gemara
are made in connection with their use for the purpose of making women
attractive to their husbands. Unfortunately, the opposite has become
true. A woman may neglect herself when she is at home alone with her
husband, but when she goes out, she dresses up and beautifies
herself. This whole idea -that a woman enhances her beauty for the
outside world, but neglects it when she is alone with their husband
is wrong; it is a non-Jewish custom, and it probably had its roots in
the time of Yeshayahu. For only he, and no other navi, refers to
women's beauty enhancements in such great detail."