[Avodah] Rav Shimon Schwab on how Jewish women should dress

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu May 6 06:54:34 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 09:41:43AM +0100, Chana Luntz wrote:
: RYL quotes R' Shimon Schwarb as saying:
:>   In general, from Yeshayahu's rebuke of Jewish women's flaunting of
:> their clothing, jewelry, and beauty enhancements, it is quite clear
:> that such mode of behavior is highly unbecoming a Jewish woman...

: I do have to say that I find RSS's approach somewhat puzzling in the light
: of Chazal though. One of the ten takanos of Ezra listed in Baba Kama 82a was
: that peddlers should go from city to city for the sake of women's adornments

Li nir'eh:
Kan bachutz, kan beinah uvein ishahh.

Vehara'ayah, Yeshaiahu complains about "flaunting". OTOH, the mirrors
used to beautify the women of dor hamidbar were made into the kiyor.

(Speaking of my frustrations with the Hebrew issue...)