[Avodah] Rav Shimon Schwab on how Jewish women should dress

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Wed May 5 06:03:24 PDT 2010

RYL, citing RSS:
> In general, from Yeshayahu's rebuke of Jewish women's flaunting of
> their clothing, jewelry, and beauty enhancements, it is quite clear
> that such mode of behavior is highly unbecoming a Jewish woman. A
> Jewish woman should present herself not merely as a "woman," but
> rather, as a human being with a tzelem Elokim, who belongs to the
> Jewish nation, and is possessed of a neshamah that is holy...

> Unfortunately, in our times, showy dressing, and cosmetic and beauty
> enhancement have become normal and acceptable behavior. Even very
> "frum" girls and women dress and beautify themselves in a way that is
> designed to attract attention to themselves as women...

It was not a new phenomenon, it was a practice known to Hazal: One of
Ezra's takkanos was permitting perfumiers free access to Jewish towns,
and one of the reactions to Hurban HaBayis was restrictions on the
wearing of jewelry. From the first we can deduce that, contra RSS
(and contra my own allergic reactions), perfumes are a positive thing,
and from the second we can deduce something analogous about jewelry.

David Riceman