[Avodah] Rav Shimon Schwab on how Jewish women should dress

Yitzchak Schaffer yitzchak.schaffer at gmx.com
Mon May 3 06:40:48 PDT 2010

On 5/2/2010 22:18, Prof. Levine wrote:
> Unfortunately, in our times, showy dressing, and cosmetic and beauty
> enhancement have become normal and acceptable behavior.
> Unfortunately,
> though, it is very difficult to change this now because it has taken
> root in our culture, and certainly if it is done in moderation and in
> good taste, it is difficult to criticize.

I found this essay frustratingly hard to understand.  Although it
touches on a worthy concept, it seems to fall short of properly
delineating it.  It's my understanding that a woman is also meant not to
look like a frump, but one could come away from this R' Schwab with that
impression.  What is considered "showy dressing, and cosmetic and beauty
enhancement" that is wrong, as opposed to that which is right?  Is "in
moderation" right or wrong?  If it's wrong, how is it "difficult to
criticize?"  This essay seems to do just that, placing "in moderation"
under the category of "unfortunately;" "difficult" to criticize, but
something R' Schwab would like to criticize.

Anybody know from personal experience how R' Schwab would have had women
present themselves?

--
Yitzchak Schaffer
Systems Manager