[Avodah] Rav Shimon Schwab on how Jewish women should dress

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Sun May 2 19:18:35 PDT 2010

Verse 24 of the third Perek of Yeshayahu says
And instead of perfume, there will be rot, and instead of the girdle,
wound; and instead of embossed jewelry, there will be baldness. And
instead of celebratory
sash, a girdle of sackcloth. For all this will be in place of beauty.
Rav Shimon Schwab, ZT"L, in the sefer Rav Schwab on Yeshayahu writes
in his commentary on this Pasuk
  In general, from Yeshayahu's rebuke of Jewish women's flaunting of
their clothing, jewelry, and beauty enhancements, it is quite clear
that such mode of behavior is highly unbecoming a Jewish woman. A
Jewish woman should present herself not merely as a "woman," but
rather, as a human being with a tzelem Elokim, who belongs to the
Jewish nation, and is possessed of a neshamah that is holy - who
happens to be a woman. To emphasize the other aspects of the person
means that one forgets the main idea of what it means to be a tzelem Elokim.

Unfortunately, in our times, showy dressing, and cosmetic and beauty
enhancement have become normal and acceptable behavior. Even very
"frum" girls and women dress and beautify themselves in a way that is
designed to attract attention to themselves as women. This is a
non-Jewish practice; it is a new phenomenon that was unheard of in
religious circles in Europe - certainly not in my time there.
Unfortunately, though, it is very difficult to change this now
because it has taken root in our culture, and certainly if it is done
in moderation and in good taste, it is difficult to criticize.

  Once a Jewish woman is aware of her greatness, of her holiness, of
what she really is, she does not emphasize and flaunt her
femininity.  Although we have many references to women's beauty in
the Torah in connection with the Matriarchs, Sara, Rivka, and Rachel,
such beauty always corresponded to and complemented their inner beauty.

Yitzchok Levine