[Avodah] 2 fridgies

Jonathan Baker jjbaker at panix.com
Fri Apr 30 12:56:43 PDT 2010

From: Danny Schoemann <doniels at gmail.com>
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Eli Turkel <eliturkel at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Unless one puts cheese on top of meat - highly unlikely- there is not
> > much of a problem with a fridge.

> That's not what the Remo in YD 95:6 seems to say.

> SA 95:6: One may place a jug of milk next to one of meat inside a box.
> Remo: And there are those who are stringent Lechatchila, and it's good
> to be stringent Lechactchila in a when possible.

> R' Zev Sero commented:

> > But that's "next to"; do you not have separate shelves in the fridge
> > for milchigs and fleishigs?

> No we don't; never occurred to me that it was needed - and I've never
> seen anybody do it. Is that your custom?

I wouldn't be surprised.

R' Yosef Wikler of "Kashrus Magazine" advised, when we learned that halacha,
that one should be stringent and, if putting a pot
into the fridge, that one put a paper towel under it, so it's not strictly
speaking "on the same shelf as" the kli with the other substance in it.
Like why we use placemats, so I could be eating a cheese sandwich, and
you could be eating a meat sandwich, and they're not "oleh al hashulchan"
together.

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Eli Turkel <eliturkel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Agreed when they are in one box again unlikely. A fridge is not a box.

> That may be even worse, since in 95:5 even the SA forbids putting meat
> next to milk. In a box it's "safer" since you'll be more careful, so
> the SA is more lenient.

In 95:5, the SA isn't talking about meat and milk, he's talking about
(HGH: open) containers: 1) salt fish boiled in milk, and 2) salt or vinegar.

So there's a real chance of spillage, and of making the salt milchig.
Not talking about meat/milk in the fridge, where they're presumably
covered.  As Shach and Taz both comment, the Mechaber's point is about
the salt vs. vinegar in the second container, in salt the fish/milk are
not batel, because it's dry, while in vinegar, the milk would be batel
in 60, if there was 60 against the fish that fell in.

--
        name: jon baker              web: http://www.panix.com/~jjbaker
     address: jjbaker at panix.com     blog: http://thanbook.blogspot.com