[Avodah] HaRav Yosef Ber Soloveitchik on Saying Hallel on Yom Ha'Atzma'ut

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 21 16:43:04 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 07:33:42PM -0400, Joseph Kaplan quoted RYBS:
: Whatever I said, don't consider them as piskei halacha. I am not a
: posek. It is simply sharing my thoughts with you. If you feel that I
: am wrong, I wouldn't feel offended.... But it's not piskei halacha,
: it's not advice, it's not that. It's simply thinking aloud.

"I am not a poseiq"? Really? What then was his role in Boston? How did
he give hashgachah?

There is more to this quote than meets the eye.

In any case, it's clear RYBS didn't intend this particular statement
about Hallel on YhA to be pesaq.

Perhaps because he knew that Briskers are pickier about change than most
rabbanim? I dunno, just guessing because it reminds me of RMF's initial
refusal to rule on the Flatbush eruv. R' Dovid Cohen says he warned the
sho'el that the answer would be based on his minority position WRT 60
ribo. However, RDC felt that once pushed to answer, RMF's kavod requires
being bound by that answer. (This is RDC circa late '70s.)

Micha Berger             Today is the 22nd day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        3 weeks and 1 day in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Chesed sheb'Netzach: Do I take control of the
Fax: (270) 514-1507                 situation for the benefit of others?