[Avodah] Avodah] HaRav Yosef Ber Soloveitchik on Saying Hallel on Yom, Ha?Atzma?ut

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 21 09:50:03 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 02:33:21PM -0400, David Riceman wrote in reply
to a quote from the Hakhel Bulletin:
:>                       What does your ultimate Rabbinic authority
:> say?  A person must look upwards for answers--not to himself,
:> downwards or sideways.

: I don't understand how the conclusion in the final sentence follows from
: the story.  The halacha is very clear that one may pasken differently from
: one's rebbe, and there are many such instances in Hazal, rishonim, and
: aharonim.

I take it RDR means that he doesn't understand how the conclusion implied
in the second two last sentence, the rhetorical question, follows from
the story. (A discussion of talmidim of RYBS who do say Hallel on YhA.)

The last sentence, at least WRT halakhah and questions that revolve around
what I call QYT issues (Qedoshim tihyu, ve'asisa haYashar vehaTov),
is certainly true. Of course in questions of religion, we must look to
our rabbeim.

(Note that my "at least WRT..." intentionally keeps the conversation away
from "daas Torah" issues. Also, "our rabbeim" isn't asserting that we
try to get a consensus of "the gedolim". Each of us believes in "asei
lekha rav", no?)

Micha Berger             Today is the 22nd day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        3 weeks and 1 day in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Chesed sheb'Netzach: Do I take control of the
Fax: (270) 514-1507                 situation for the benefit of others?