[Avodah] Avodah] HaRav Yosef Ber Soloveitchik on Saying Hallel on Yom, Ha?Atzma?ut

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Tue Apr 20 11:33:21 PDT 2010

RYL citing HEB:

<<Now, this is not to say that Rav

Soloveitchik had a different opinion in earlier years or in later
years (we do not know either way)--but it is to say that someone was
not following his Rebbe if he knew what his opinion was at that
time--and still recited Hallel in place of Tachanun in order to make
his own personal statement.  On the other hand, if one's final
Halachic authority is the Rabbanut, his practice should be
different.  This ruling will be different than that of the
Badatz-Yerushalayim.  What does your ultimate Rabbinic authority
say?  A person must look upwards for answers--not to himself,
downwards or sideways.>>

I don't understand how the conclusion in the final sentence follows from the story.  The halacha is very clear that one may pasken differently from one's rebbe, and there are many such instances in Hazal, rishonim, and aharonim.

David Riceman