[Avodah] What Was R Akiva doing & Thinking whilst this plague decimated his Talmidim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 21 08:31:14 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 03:02:52PM +1000, Meir Rabi wrote:
: But I asked this according to the traditions that appear to be the common
: Yeshivishe perspective, it was due to the fact that they did not accord
: one another the respect they ought to have.

How does that answer change whether the question is:
- Why did HQBH send a plague through R' Aqiva's talmidim (eg Rashi)?
or
- Why did HQBH let the war effort fail?

In fact, according to R' Hai Gaon, it would seem we are discussing the
entire reason by Bar Kokhva failed, and thus why we weren't ready for
the geulah yet. (And still aren't, unless something happens between my
typing and the next digest being sent out.)

BTW, no man has 24,000 talmidim muvhaqim. We should probably be thinking
of an educational system, or a R' Aqiva-led movement, rather than people
he taught personally.

Micha Berger             Today is the 22nd day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        3 weeks and 1 day in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Chesed sheb'Netzach: Do I take control of the
Fax: (270) 514-1507                 situation for the benefit of others?