[Avodah] Tiqun Layl HaSeder vs. Tiqun Layl Shavuos

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 12:22:07 PDT 2010

jmeisner at gmail.com
> It may be significant that the Shulchan Aruch, following in the steps of
> the Rosh, defined the chiyuv on Pesach night as being "ad she-tacht'fenu
> sheina"

Exactly! - shkoyach.

> the Magen Avraham's explanation of staying up all Shavu'os night as
> being a takana for k'lal Yisroel oversleeping on the day of Matan Torah
> implies that the significance of the minhag is to be up very early as
> a result of not sleeping

Which is the reason why - when my shul in upper Manhattan was struggling
with Tiqqun Layl Shavuos due to concerns of both safety and and of the
elderly - I suggested doing TLS an hour plus BEFORE shacharis instead
of late at night - specifically based upon this premise; namely that
the iqqar is to get up early - and not so much to stay up late.

And a bit of "hislamdus" that's how understanding origins and the
underlying principles of a given halachah and minhag can be empowering --
EG when they need to be tweaked. As opposed to doing things merely by
rote mimetics.

I also see it as very "Hirschian" to understand the underlying dynamics.

KT
RRW
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile